Tuesday, September 18, 2012

And we're done with the training...bring on the QEEG

TRex's last training session was uneventful.  He handled it like a pro.  The conversation with the doctor afterwards was very interesting.  He asked me on a scale of 1-10 what was the improvement and I said I don't think I can say but I can give you another measurement.  In May I was lucky if TRex were able to concentrate on a task for 5 minutes.  This week he colored and decorated his poster for 20 minutes.

I told the doctor that I was concerned because of my conversation with the room mom the day before.  Her child had trained at the same age as TRex but 5 years later is having issues and is on ADHD medication.  How do I know if and when I need to bring TRex back if the QEEG shows everything is in the "normal" range.  His statement was that neurofeedback is just a tool that is needed to be used with others.  He gave me the example of someone who weight trains very strenuously but goes home and eats pizza will not achieve the desired results.  I have to be honest here and say that this doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling...all I can do is be vigilant and make sure that TRex's brain is stimulated every day.

Several observations about today:1. TRex was talking about his pets and kept calling Jasper a "red devil barrow" and laughing.  I asked him to repeat it several times and he kept using the same term.  I always call Jasper the Red Devil but I didn't understand what "barrow" meant.  I then asked him if LoLo was a red devil barrow and he laughed and said funny momma, she is a brown barrow...hmmmm that got me thinking so I asked him if Scooter was a red devil barrow and he said no momma he is a gato.....then it clicked I asked him if Rowdy is a gato too and he said yes.  So it seems that little Mr. Man has had some spanish lessons and he is correct both Japser and LoLo are perros....hahahaha!

After TRex finished his bath he was standing in front of the mirror and laughing.  He asked me "Am I a girl?"  I said of course not silly.  The he said look I have hair like Ms. Kittridge...and I almost laughed because he had made the sides of his hair spiky...like Ms. Kittridge.  Then I said are you sure it isn't like Ms. Owens?  Then he slicked his hair down and said this is like Ms. Owens.  So I would say his verbal processing is progressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment